A closed door is one of the best pieces of firefighting and lifesaving equipment. It can:
- Reduce fire growth and spread
- Limit damage to your home
- Possibly save lives
If you have to leave a room that is on fire,
simply closing the door behind you can be the best decision you make.
- Close the bedroom door when sleeping, if possible.
- Close doors behind you when escaping a room or building that's on fire.
- Keep fire doors closed. Never wedge, disable or prop open fire doors in any building.
Did You Know?
- 3 minutes - that's how much time you have to escape a fire.
- You should have two ways out of every room in your home.
- For best possible protection, install interconnected smoke alarms inside and outside each bedroom.
- When escaping a fire in your home, close the door behind you. It will help contain the fire.
- You should never wedge, disable, or prop open fire doors.
Help Spread the Message
Stop a fire from growing and spreading by simply closing the door.
Learn more and help spread the message.
Close the Door! Video
Produced for the TN Dept of Commerce & Insurance
Contest Winning Video
Produced by Owen Kieffer
(11th grade, Bull, Grap, TN)